HW: The Time Of The Hawklords

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri May 5 21:28:18 EDT 2000

On Sat, 6 May 2000 04:32:10 +1000, Tim Gadd <lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM> wrote:
>At 01:24 PM 5/5/00 -0400, Michael S. Habiby wrote:
>>Personally I love the lyrics from the Chonicals live album...
>
>'Moonglum' is definately my favourite track from that album, but more (I
>suspect) for the melody, and just the general feel of the thing.

At the time, I remember it being announced as a contender for single
release.  I think it would have made a great single - it's definitely one
of my favorite songs on the album (again, for the melody!).  As for the
lyrics on 'Live Chronicles', I like Harvey's narrations the best ("heh heh
heh ... I have turned Zarozinia into a worm!").  Those definitely go all
the way to "11" ;^).

>I prefered
>it when I couldn't figure out what the words were :)  (similarly, I rather
>liked the melody in Huw' 'Dragons and Fables - though in this case I thought
>the lyrics were quite good, too. Overall I may not have been a huge fan of
>the lead-guitar dominated HW sound, but Huw definately penned some of the
>best songs from the first half of the 80's, IMHO.)

I'm in 100% agreement on both counts.  Although Huw had some fine moments
as a melodic lead guitarist ("Motorway City" and "The Island" being
standouts), I was never very much into his overall sound and most of his
solos.  However, almost every song he wrote for Hawkwind was great.  I'd
definitely add "Rocky Paths" to the list, as well as the 'Out and Intake'
version of "Waiting For Tomorrow" (with the nice flute on it).

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com