HW: The Time Of The Hawklords

Dave Berry daveb at TARDIS.ED.AC.UK
Sat May 6 17:46:40 EDT 2000

At 02:28 06/05/00 , Doug Pearson wrote:
>Although Huw had some fine moments
>as a melodic lead guitarist ("Motorway City" and "The Island" being
>standouts), I was never very much into his overall sound and most of his
>solos.  However, almost every song he wrote for Hawkwind was great.

I hold the reverse view.  There are only one or two of Huw (& Marion)'s songs that I like.  Moonglum is superb, but that's mainly for the guitar part -- the intro alone is excellent!  Dragons And Fables I like.  Some of his instrumental's are fine, but the other songs do nothing for me.  Dreaming City, Waiting For Tomorrow, Sea King, Rocky Paths, and Solitary Mind Games are just gaps between the decent stuff.

I can't say the the 79-89 period holds much HW output that I really like, but where it does work (TIH:DNP, LC, some of XC), Huw's sound is a key part of it.

Dave.