Moorcock/Calvert (again)

david hall dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun May 7 13:04:33 EDT 2000

On the music side, Calvert wins. I've always found some of MM's input to be, ahem, suspect.
On the writing side MM wins by a mile. MM generally agrees that some of his earlier stuff wasn't as well written as he would have liked. The Jerry C. books were excellent, but, IMO are now appear dated. The Dancers At The End Of Time, absolutely top-hole old bean! After this his work was excellent, the Pyat books are exceptional....IMO his best. Maybe because I'm interested in history, politics, etc etc. Anyway if MM hadn't written Gloriana perhaps I wouldn't have read Mervyn Peake' stuff, so thanks for that.

Hype was thin, very thin...and not very well written, a bit sad really as I was really looking forward to it. The LP was better, but not as good as Capt Lockheed, not as bad as Lucky L. tho'.

As for the MM/Calvert "thing", wasn't that due to Bob walking off with Mike's wife.

Dave