OFF: Fwd: More Metallica/Napster

MissileCommand antisol at SOFTHOME.NET
Tue May 9 14:17:13 EDT 2000

Paul Mather wrote:

> On Mon, 8 May 2000, MissileCommand forwarded:
>
> => >From: "*" <benos at clam.rutgers.edu>
> => >       4:21 PMSubject:
> => >To:"List" <raving at sudval.org>
> =>
> => >Said by Metallica in denying that the Napster situation isn't about money:
> =>
> => >. All of us would be perfectly happy serving
> => >fried food or
> => >mopping the floors of adult entertainment establishments
> => >except for the fact
> => >that we'd be taking jobs from our fans. And that's what this
> => >is all about:
> => >the fans.
> =>
> => >I mean, I had the notion they had become dickheads, but the fact that they
> => >actually said that is the most gross suicide attempt I've ever seen.  The
> => >sad thing is, it probably won't even work.
> => >_____________________________________________________
> => >"So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late"
>
> That "Open Letter from Metallica" popped up (in its entirety) on another
> list to which I'm subscribed.  I'm gobsmacked that anyone would take it
> for genuine, it was such a glaringly obvious parody/fake.

Are you completely sure of this? Unless you can prove it's fake you can't claim to
be right-Yes it's easily a fake, but I wouldn't put it past Metallica to say such
things.

> The authors
> didn't even go to the bother of rustling up either a Metallica-related
> postal or e-mail address to give it even a soupcon of legitimacy.

Since I received only a short clip from it, how can you be sure that such
information wasn't removed from your version?
I never claimed it was authentic, nor have I seen this "full letter" (The comment
below it was not mine either).  I forwarded it as it was relavant to the earlier
discussion.

> It just goes to show that critical literacy is alive and well and living
> somewhere other than the Internet...

Perhaps subjects such as Metallica are not to be taken seriously enough to demand
a critical analysis of the material before posting. sheesh! I mean, my mind is
usually elsewhere and I'm glad of it.