OFF: Fwd: More Metallica/Napster

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue May 9 19:20:56 EDT 2000

On Tue, 9 May 2000, MissileCommand wrote:

=> letter written as a joke, but the point I'm trying to make is that
=> there's no need to get pissed off and gripe about how careless
=> people are in believing anything they read. You can be sure that I
=> would question any information that could lead to a critical
=> decision, but in this case I really don't see what the big deal
=> is.

It is no big deal.  All I was saying is that I'm surprised at what
things people will routinely forward these days.  I guess that's how
these "modem tax" urban legends get started and take hold.

It's been an interesting phenomenon that's unfolded in the wake of the
posting of the full text of the "Metallica open letter" on the other
list I mentioned.  Folks have gone off on a real tear on the strength of
that letter.  But, the aspect I find interesting is the way people have
now taken to prefacing their invective with disclaimers like "if that
letter was fake then ignore all this, otherwise <<mass quantities of
bile>>."  I just find that weird.

If it seemed like I was singling you out, I'm sorry; that was
not intended.  I was really thinking about that other list.

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Fleetwood Mac, _The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions: 1967-1969_ (disc 6)

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

PS: You're dead right about newspapers!

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa