Off: Drummers

ciwsolutions ciwsolutions at BREATHEMAIL.NET
Tue May 9 19:40:27 EDT 2000

At 19:37 04/05/00, you wrote:

 > > On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 05:00:02PM -0700, John H. McCartney wrote:
 > > > [Carl Palmer] Truly one of the very few who can
 > > > do an *interesting* drum solo.
 > > >

 >The last time I saw Palmer (ELP Black Moon tour, about 6' away from me),
 >he did his usual drum solo (you know, where he ends by pumpingthe double
 >bass drums widly while he strips off his shirt, and then
 >starts working the gongs.) Then, after some heavy breathing and toweling
 >off whilst the crowd went nuts, he started up again, but played only the
 >rims of the drums and the edges of the cymbals. He went on like that for
 >another 10 minutes or so, I'd never seen anything like it.
 >
 >Of course he then spoiled the magic by finishing up playing, of all
 >things, a MIDI'ed *tambourine*. Technology run amok.....
 >
 >scorch

Not wishing to seem to much of a party pooper, but as you say, you'd never
"seen" anything like it, so 10/10 for showmanship, but my EARS have never
been that impressed, he's a good rock drummer, but I tend to side with
Albert - Terry Bozzio can play the ass off most; the aforementioned Mr.
Bruford is "outside the box"...

The highly opinionated...
ChrisW

"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce