OFF:<<== see? WARNING! the word NAPSTER appears in this post! -_-

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri May 12 11:29:57 EDT 2000

On Fri, 12 May 2000 DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:

=> AHEM.
=> =koff=
=>
=> so am i the only denizen of BOC-L who has music available
=> on....{wait for it} NAPSTER? m'sieu bouchard notwithstanding.
=> [although now that i mention it, his take on METALLICA vs NAPSTER
=> might prove enlightening] in the case of das ludicroix and [my
=> prior, "real" band] disarray, the music was basically submitted to
=> them, gratis, either by moi or the friend of mine who whipped up
=> the mp3's. in the absence of 'gettin' paid', i thought i might as
=> well share the music.
=>
=> and if the 317, 000-plus folx _hunted down_ and _blocked_ by
=> METALLICA wanna download my stuff, be my guest. heck, you can join
=> the 4 or 5 people who may have downloaded daslud or dsra material
=> up to this point and we can have a party!

I just had a skeg on napster for your music, but couldn't find
anything.  I searched for "das ludicroix," "daslud," and "disarray," but
all turned up nothing.  Not to be denied, I noticed in the MOTD when
connecting to the official napster server from my client (gnapster) the
following note (tucked right down at the bottom):

Be Heard! Napster provides maximum exposure for the unsigned artist.
-->           Want to promote your music on Napster?
-->     Surf to http://artist.napster.com/ to find out how!
<<<<<

So, I duly "surfed" on over to that WWW site and discovered I could
search for artistes.  In fact, the search box informed me:

        Type in a specific artist name to search for new
        artists. Or, enter the name of a popular musician to
        find new artists that sound similar.

Again, I entered "das ludicroix," "daslud," and "disarray," but each
time I got "Your search returned no results." :-(  (I guess that's that
"maximum exposure for the unsigned artist" working overtime.;)

Could you provide me with a couple of song titles, so I could search for
those on napster?  Maybe I just searched at a bad time, but last time I
searched I turned up nothing, too.

I'm beginning to think that napster is not the utopian service people
are having me believe... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Searches for artists similar to "hawkwind" yielded "Tubilah
Dog," "Undesire," and "Acid Wench."  Only one artist was professed
similar to Blue Oyster Cult: "Door64."

PPS: I couldn't find anything on napster by Al Bouchard, either, unless
you count about three dozen BOC tracks (about 75% of which were "(Don't
Fear) The Reaper"---yeah, we need more exposure for that obscure
song!:), and I doubt they were made available with permission...

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa