OFF:<<== see? WARNING! the word NAPSTER appears in thispost!-_-

MissileCommand antisol at SOFTHOME.NET
Fri May 12 20:24:02 EDT 2000

Doug Pearson wrote:

> On Fri, 12 May 2000 11:40:08 -0500, MissileCommand <antisol at SOFTHOME.NET>
> wrote:
> >Hey I know Acid Wench! They covered Sonic Attack (with me on tube oscillator
> >:) )
>
> Tube Oscillator?!?  Tell me more!

I don't have it with me at the moment to give the specs but it's a nice austere
design, late 60's era, has sine/square wave functions and a range of (I think)
0-50kHz.  It's tuned with a single geared-down dial, making its use limited for
music, but I've been toying with the idea of modifying it to do sweeps or take a
control signal. When I used it with Acid Wench I just patched it directly to an
amplifier (-question about that.

..got it from the physics lab when I was in high school. They claimed it didn't
work but all I had to do was open it up and adjust a pot... I took it back in the
next day to show up the snotty prof. and guess what? - another student thought it
was a bomb and became hysterical, resulting in my suspension! (he asked me if it
was indeed a bomb, and I replied in the affirmative, thinking he was joking of
course. What kind of bomb has a power cord dangling from it?! fukkin stupid
kids.)

> I found an old Philco tube signal
> generator in the weeds behind my building a couple years ago, but I've
> never tried to get it to work.  One of these days ...

What's it do?

Isn't it amazing what you find lying around? Some of my favorite possesions are
rescued from the trash. Recently I found a pristine condition 1955 US military
frequency meter, weighing 90lb and having all sorts of blinking lights and a even
a tiny built in oscilloscope! The sheet metal-bound instruction manual explains
how to destroy it in case of enemy take-over! Uses a crystal oven refererence
oscillator- a modern equivalent would still cost about $500 (and still not be
blast proof!).