HW: '80s

flossbac flossbac at NLCI.COM
Sat May 13 11:51:37 EDT 2000

> At 10:28 PM 5/12/00 +0100, Dave Berry wrote:
> >I'm quite surprised that neither of you included "On Arrival In Utopia",
> which at the time was easily my favourite track on Choose Your Masques.
It
> probably still is, too.

Quite right.  The lyrics are perhaps a tiny bit weak, but musically I think
it's one of Hawkwind's best.  The lead that Huw plays in the bridge is
incredible.... he really had some amazing moments, such as in this song, or
in "Lost Chronicles" or "The Island" or "Motorway City."  That live
recording of "Who's Gonna Win the War?" on the Anthology Vol. One album is
extremely cool.... his lead playing is extremely jazzy, with some of the
weirdest phrasing I've ever heard... if that performance were the only thing
Huw had ever done, it would be enough for me to want to grant him godhood.
John Majka