Give bears a chance/ Editorial from "The Times" May 13th 2000

SLOTERDIJK SLOTERDIJK at WEBTV.NET
Sat May 13 12:05:15 EDT 2000

The following editorial letter, taken from today's "The Times" (Trenton,
New Jersey), expresses another viewpoint regarding the opposition of a
proposed bear hunt in New Jersey, and offers ways which you can help.

It is not my intention to "politicize" my announcements, but this is an
issue which is very close to my heart.  Like many other artists I have
chosen to publicly announce my alignment with a "said cause".

As I stated before I will be attending a rally on the Capitol Complex
Steps in Trenton, on Monday May 22nd between 11AM-1PM.
If this is a protest which you feel inclined to support then please join
me. I will be wearing a blue Appalachian Trail hat, and my old AT
Ridgerunner's uniform.

If you can't attend or choose not to, but would still like to help,
please read the article below, or click to www.savenjbears.com

            Peace, Mike (Sloterdijk)

Author: Mary Ann Moissinac

"I attended the seminar on bears given by the Morris County Park
Commission and the Humane Society at the Frelingheysen Arboretum on
April 4. Dr. Lynne Rogers, an expert on bears, provided excellent
information on co-existing with bears. His slides showed how gentle
bears are. He has researched them for 30 years. If people had seen how
he could be in their dens with them, how intelligent and nonaggressive
they are, I am sure no one would want to destroy them. They would leave
them alone and not provoke them.

   The Fish, Game and Wildlife management wants to start hunting season
in September. We must call our government representatives and ask them
to back the Black Bear Protection bills, S-1162, sponsored by Sen. Louis
Bassano and A-2308, sponsored by Assemblyman Christopher Batemen.

   There are alternative methods to stop the increase in the bear
population. Lets' get something going. Call me at (973) 838-2505.
Education is the key to living in bear country.

   For example, Dr. Rogers suggests that farmers put electric fences
around their crops and put out bacon as bait. When the bears come for
the bacon, they get a shock from the fence and turn away.

   We need a non hunter on the Fish, Game and Widlife council, as all 11
members are hunters. Stuart Chaifetz is a nonhunter and a "voice for
wildlife". There is an opening and the governor should make Stuart a
member of the commission.

   We voted for open space. This is where the wildlife should be
relocated, in sanctuaries. Let's get the funding to do sterilization.
Tell the governor we do not want a bear hunt"....

Mary Ann Moissinac
Bloomingdale Borough

http://community.webtv.net/SLOTERDIJK/SLOTERDIJKControl
http://community.webtv.net/SLOTERDIJK/ARTIMUS