HW: "A Space Ritual" on MP3 [via the Newsgroups]

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Sun May 14 14:24:59 EDT 2000

boy, i tell ya...
in the matter of "circulation of copyrighted material"
Napster aint Shite.

visited a cybertech friend yesterday;
no modems for him, he's got this T1 connexion.
[as amazing as promoted.]
and we went to the 'newsgroups'.

again, _amazing_.
a veritable plethora of music on MP3.
'60s-'90s stuff
some great '50s jazz...
and someone posted 'a space ritual.',.
in many chunks, of course.

through the wonder of technology,
 my friend would select strings of material
to download simultaneously in a matter of minutes.
he would later put the stuff on the hard drive
of a connected machine
and subsequently make a CD.
clear the hard drive
and do it over again.

he had a whole 'book' of these CD's.
to play at parties, etc.
[>for personal/private use only,
o ye legal-minded<]

for my friend, he's like a kid in a candy store
there is _so much_ material out there
and he can grab handfuls of it.

my friend realizes this is all, how you say,
_dicey_
not far from the land of warez
and yet quite a bit of the material
would likely never have been on MP3.

last night as we all partied
[the das ludicroix  outdoor appearance having been...nnnggghhh...
scratched -_-]
 i recall hearing one of those CD's,
including:
'wipe out' by the surfaris
several songs by j. geils band
some manhattan transfer song
'iko iko' ,'63 by the...hmmm...the 'chapel of love ' girls?
theme from 'fraggle rock'
3 or 4 simpsons songs
4 bonzo dog band
'telstar' by the tornadoes [?]
2 from the velvets' ''loaded' lp
some stooges '73 rehearsal track.
etc.
....all grabbed like a kid at a candy store.

on the one hand, i've collected and traded bootleg tapes for years.
but the point of this post
[by golly, there _was_ a point after all]
was to say
this whole NAPSTER bidness
is small change
if Metallica's legal procedures
were uniformly applied.

the MP3 underground
is deep and wide

dont ask me to tell yiz how to get there.

writ while very stoned.
"<>"