SD 2000

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue May 16 15:39:03 EDT 2000

First of all, great to see you on the list, John!  Welcome aboard!

It looks to me like the SD2k lineup still isn't 100% finalized (and I would
guess/hope that Jim is still trying to figure out a way to get Dave over
for the event; if so, I'd expect him to keep quiet about that unless
something is actually confirmed).  The list of American bands, even,
doesn't seem to have been set in stone yet.  And right now, all the website
links are broken, so it's probably being currently updated with
(hopefully!) new information.

I was pretty excited when the initial anouncements indicated that Nik would
be there, and that he, Grenas, Del Rio & co. would have some new/different
material worked out.  It was great to see them in LA this spring, even
though I'd already heard them do all the songs several times before.  Their
repertoire could use some additions, IMHO.

Perhaps "Assault & Battery", since (I believe?) there's a version of that
on the upcoming 'Ice Ritual' album ... even though it's a Brock
composition, it's an opportunity to showcase some of Nik's best flute
playing in a song that utterly rocks.  I'd also *love* to see them take a
stab at a few more ICU tunes than just "Watching the Grass Grow" (which, I
guess, sorta counts as a Hawkwind song anyway).  "Bones of Elvis" would be
a blast.  If Simon House is going to be there with his violin (and if he's
not, I'll volunteer!), it would be criminal not to play "Stonehenge Who
Knows" (the only song on Nik's 'Prophets of Time' that betters, or lives up
to, the original ICU version IMO, mostly because of the violin - sorry
Fred!).  "Space Invaders", "Hurricane Fighter Plane" (OK - a cover, but a
great one!), "Fungus Among Us" or "Little Black Egg" (oops! more covers),
"Cybernetic Love", "God Disco", "Raj Neesh" & "I.C.U." would all be welcome
additions.  Perhaps another Calvert number or two - "Evil Rock" would be a
great choice since the original features a fabulously raunchy sax solo, and
it would be cool to hear Nik work at out-menacing Ron on "Song of the
Gremlin".  And if Harvey is going to be there, it would be fantastic to see
him guest with Nik for "Ghost Dance" and/or "Dream Worker".

Any other suggestions?

        -Doug (another one of those people who was too wasted to stand while Born
To Go were playing "Orgone Accumulator" for a half hour)
         ceres at sirius.com