HW: SD 2000

Wed May 17 13:54:53 EDT 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, K Henderson wrote:

> So, I'm afraid it's the same old story for Jim.  A lot of bands seem to want
> to do it, but then the time comes, and there's always something else going
> on or some other problem.  I can't blame the Farflung guys tho....they've
> been every year to date, and having them get a contract for something
> significant (I don't know who it is...I'm hoping Man's Ruin or something
> similar) is good for the 'scene.'  I wonder why "The Myth of Solid Ground"
> (which I don't think is out yet, is it?  Big Jesus is too small to even have
> a website.) isn't something they could provide this new label though.

        If we could get a space band onto Man's Ruin there might follow
some really interesting cross-pollination and energy - the stoner-rock
scene seems to have a lot more energy than the space-rock/psych one at the
moment and the labels that aer driving it could do the latter nothing but
good.

        I am extremely anxious to know what's happening to this new
Farflung album. I assume that since you mention Len del Rio, the new
project that's sending Grenas et al into the studio is Pressurehed or
Anubian Lights. If the latter, perhaps that's what Nik's involved
in. Similarly, if Len del Rio's involved, I assume the label isn't
Cleopatra since he doesn't appear to like them anymore. It's about time
Pressurehed got back into action, really, though if I had to choose
between them and Farflung I'd offload Pressurehed with no regrets. But if
Farflung already have an album recorded, that's not a choice we currently
have to make. Be nice if it were released, though. What is Big Jesus, its
scheduled releaser or were they just the studio/CD-R producers?

> >From what Jim says, the Ozrics are out (wanted *way* too much money) and P.
> Tree is only looking at maybe doing shows in NYC and LA.  (Huh?)

        Getting PT to gig anywhere for more than a three-date tour is
rapidly tending toward the chances of getting Hawkwind out. But unlike HW,
PT do have a new album out next month. The single is refreshingly
encouraging - it reminds me of `See Emily Play' and is currently in the
CD-ROM drive... Song sounded like an Oasis rip-off live, and was meant to
given the title (`Four Chords that Made a Million'), but the studio
version has got electric sitar, three sorts of percussion and a slow
mid-section that contains more things going backwards than a driving
school doing parallel parking. Also pleasantly catchy. Even the B-sides
are none too bad, although rather more _Stupid Dream_y. So, yeah, I'd
recommend people went out and bought it and maybe it'll chart and they'll
get to take the piss out of Oasis with the aid of mass media :-) Yours,

Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |