OFF: Re. CD Player Advice Requested

Chris Warburton ciwsolutions at BREATHEMAIL.NET
Sat May 20 18:25:05 EDT 2000

At 18:43 20/05/00 +0100, you wrote:
>FWIW I'd go for Marantz every time, my preference would
>be the CD63 MkII but don't know if that's in your price
>range, they are about 250 quid in the UK depending how hard
>you shop around.  I usually grab a copy of What Hi-Fi and
>would suggest you get something similar.

Despite being one of the conflicting audiophiles ;-{)> I couldn't agree
more....If shopping to a budget, you can't go far wrong by picking the
relevant Marantz model, and it seem to be worth going for an 'SE' variant
where possible.

>BTW, if there are any Audiophiles on the list you should
>expect a mass of conflicting advice, the only 'advice' I
>would press upon you would be:
>
>1 Pick some kit in your price range.
>2 Arrange to audition it on you own system if possible.
>3 Buy it.
>4 Enjoy...

Absolutely, and as you said, take in samples of what you like, and any
'awkward' discs or CD-Rs.  CD players are absolutely NOT neutral devices
and you should try and hear your own preferred music, preferably with your
own amp & speakers.

For possible future upgrades it's also worth considering what (if any)
digital output it has:- received opinion seems to be that electrical is
better than optical for connection to an offboard DAC.  My Luxman doesn't
have one, but instead I have the luxury of a valve ouput stage :-{))))>

Cheers,
ChrisW
ObBargains: PXR5 & New Race/The First & The Last (Both 12" vinyl)