OFF: Re: CD Player Advice Requested

Darrin McKeehen dmckeehen at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 21 14:58:23 EDT 2000

Well!

I am in complete agreement w/ Chris W ") I am an audiophile, but I have been
just watching, until he said what he did.

Sometimes, it seems best to just let you guys "go off" instead of jumping
in....

My best advice is listen to ALL of the CD players in your price range and
pick the one the YOU like best. Sound preference is a subjective thang.

Take a variety of what you like to listen too. I always try to take a full
digital disc. That is a DDD disc. And w/ this day in age if you have an
"HDCD" that is high definition recorded disc....Take that one too.

If you are a disc burner etc. Take CD-R's to play. Also, if you have a stand
alone audio disc burner, you will want one w/ a "digi" out. These days, you
don't have to spend alot to find a CD player equipped w/ a digi out. The RCA
jack is the most accepted. It will be one cable, one plug(jack)setup w/ a
stereo Coaxial cable.

I bought a MAGNAVOX CD player in 1985 and it lived for 10 years. One channel
was getting week. I did the Circuit City - 30 day thang.....meaning I bought
a CD player and brought it home. It was the best one that they had and was
about $300. It was a Harmon Kardon.

IT SOUNDED TERRIBLE! I was shocked I had heard other Harmon Kardon
components and they were pretty nice. It had a very hard and cold sound. I
took it back! (w/in the 30 day time period") And I got my money back. No
problem. I think that I told them that I found another component that I
liked better, at a better price... at one of their competitors ")

Doug P is a very knowledgeable fellow. He and I definitely disagree on 2
items.... that being Huw Lloyd Langdon and CD players being dispensable. No
offense, Doug you are still are pretty cool in my book ") And if everyone
agreed, things would be pretty boring.

I believe that these days the CD player is possibly the most integral
component in one's system.

I won't take up anymore space, here. I reviewed the Glastonbury '90 sound
quality some time back and listed the components that I played the discs
on....

I think that I was Doug that said that portion was boring....

FYI though.......When I bought the CD player that I ended up w/, one of the
discs that I played was....

The Business Trip ")

Peace,

Darrin

PS MAGNAVOX is owned by Philips, who invented many of the important
components that make CD players function. You will find their components, as
well as other companies in nearly every mass produced CD player made.

PSS Anyone that thinks that all CD players sound the same and one is as good
as another is quite simply wrong. Probably the best American made CD player
is made by California Audio Labs and the best CD player in the world is made
by Meridian. You CAN hear the difference.