HW: Promo Collection / Thirsty Wale

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sun May 21 17:04:22 EDT 2000

Ben sed...

>Yes, stupid name for a venue *thirsty whale* maybe they can get some
>sanity into the place now that the red queen of deliria has been turfed
>out pf it's palace in England!

This is the place in the west Chicago suburbs?  I was at that show then.  I
don't think the club is in business any longer, right?

It was a crappy little place anyway, and you couldn't even see the dinky
little stage from about 70% of the club's floor space.  The HW gig the
previous night on the north side of Chicago (Cubby Bear, next to Wrigley
Field) was much better.  Though it was extremely loud for some reason.

The Thirsty Whale show was with the Sex Kittens and Freddy Jones Band as
openers.  The former featured a female front person who was dressed as the
band's name suggests, though the others were men IIRC.  Funny thing is that
she was at the show the previous night.  The latter later put out a couple
albums that actually were distributed over a big portion of the country,
'cause I see them from time to time in stores around here.  Don't remember a
thing about them.

>linuxchaos wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know the concerts at which footage was taken then used in
>> the Promo Collection?
>>
>> Out of the Shadows                   Thirsty Whale 1990?

I don't know what this 'Promo Collection' is, but since you say 'footage'
I'm assuming it's video, right?  Well, then, if the stage is very small, not
exactly 'square' to the rest of the club (i.e., it faced *away* from the
bulk of the club!), the camera is not very far away from the stage, solid
wall to the left (stage right), and the sound is terrible....well, that's it!

It's been ten years, so my memory's a little suspect.  But I *think* this is
generally accurate.

Grakkl (FAA)