HW: Promo Collection / Thirsty Wale

flossbac flossbac at NLCI.COM
Sun May 21 21:37:22 EDT 2000

Ah yes, the Thirsty Whale.... what a dive!  The place was notorious as being
a venue for third-rate down-and-out classic rock and hair-metal bands, so it
was with horror that I found Hawkwind would be playing there in 1990.
Whoever booked them at the Whale wasn't doing them any favors.  I spoke to
Bridgett at the show and she even said, "Well, it's a bit of a dive isn't
it?"  The opening band, Sex Kittens, was a heavy metal act with a female
rock bitch for a lead singer.... they played two identical sets
consecutively because (as Alan and Bridgett later told me) apparently the
club people had been expecting Hawkwind to do two sets that night, but
everyone was afraid to go out to the bus and ask the band what they were
planning on doing.... so the Sex Kittens filled empty time by playing twice.
When Hawkwind finally entered the club, they were surprised to find out that
the place had actually been expecting them to play hours earlier as well as
a later show.  Alan had said they would have been perfectly happy to do
that, but nobody told them a thing, so it was pretty late when they got
their gear set up and went on.  Hawkwind were awesome that night, maybe
because it was such a tiny place and so incredibly informal and not like a
club at all.  The Thirsty Whale was more of a redneck/classic rocker pub,
and I'm not sorry to see it go out of business.  It was fantastic seeing
Chicago Hawkwind shows at better venues, such as Cabaret Metro
(unquestionably my favorite Chicago club with the finest sound system in
Chicago) or Park West or Lounge Ax.  I'm not that partial to Cubby Bear, but
it's a lot better than The Thirsty Whale.
John Majka