HW: Promo Collection / Thirsty Wale

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon May 22 14:46:35 EDT 2000

On Sun, 21 May 2000 20:37:22 -0500, flossbac <flossbac at NLCI.COM> wrote:
>Ah yes, the Thirsty Whale.... what a dive!  The place was notorious as being
>a venue for third-rate down-and-out classic rock and hair-metal bands, so it
>was with horror that I found Hawkwind would be playing there in 1990.
>Whoever booked them at the Whale wasn't doing them any favors.

It seems like whoever booked those '89 & '90 tours specialized in that kind
of venue, but then again, that was what was big in America at the time
(B.G. - Before Grunge).  Three of the four venues they played in the SF Bay
Area on those two tours fell into that category (One Step Beyond in Santa
Clara, the Stone in San Francisco & the Omni in Oakland), and - funny
enough - they're all out of business!  No matter how much popular music
might suck these days (doesn't it always?), I wouldn't want to revisit
those frightening days of the late 80's ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com