BOC Friday

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Nov 2 08:05:46 EST 2000

On 2 Nov 00, at 8:30, Nick Medford wrote:

> First HW show: Black Sword, Hammersmith '85. I remember the excitement
> my 16 year-old self and my mates had about going to this gig.
> Difficult (and perhaps not desirable) to retain that sense of awe and
> excitement as you get older but ever since I knew the Hawkestra was
> definitely happening I felt like I was 16 again! And it actually lived
> up to my wholly unreasonable expectations!

Good point about sustaining the excitement felt as a youthful convert.
I gotta say I'm pretty psyched to see BOC tomorrow night some 28
years after my first gig--damn, 28 years is older than a lot of folks on
this list!  And, it's probably a bit harder to stay focused on BOC as
they haven't had a steady steam of new releases like HW has.  Still,
BOC live is an event similar to HW, although, I gather, BOC plays a
lot more shows than HW in a given year.

Anyone have an idea what we'll hear Fri. night?  Haven't seen any set
lists from recent BOC gigs.  I'm still bitterly disappointed from the
Vernon gig where BOC got short-sheeted into playing an abbreviated
set, with no 'new' stuff--not even any HF tunes.  Hopefully, tomorrow's
gig will set that straight.

BTW, for Nick and anyone else traveling a long distance for the
show:  I contacted the venue, and the dude said that doors open at 8,
and first band goes on at 930p.  According to the web site, there are
2 opening bands, which should put BOC on stage around 11-1130p,
I guess.

What time are you all planning on showing up?  I figure to hit the
place around 830 or so.  Maybe later. as I'm not in any hurry to hear
Bad Karma, the opening act, which sounds like a bad cover band.
Any of you Albany-area guys heard them?  Some other dude is
playing--forget his name.  Mike, Jason, have you heard?

theo