No Lonesome Dope after all!

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Nov 2 11:30:18 EST 2000

Melvyn Vincent writes:

> Thanks for all your replies on this subject.
> I have always agreed with HW's intention which was clearly stated on the
> back cover of the very firsy HW Album by ...."levitating their minds in a
> nice way,without acid,with ultimately a complete audio visual thing".
> At the end of the day it is possible to train our minds to think/imagine a
> certain way without neccesarily useing a chemical stimulus.
> I am reminded of what a number of the animation artists that worked on the
> Disney epic 'Fantasia' said on a TV documentary a while ago. Many outsiders
> considered that they must have used LSD at some point in the creative/ideas
> process in order to conceive some of the complex evolving imagery used in
> Fantasia. However...they maintained that this was simply not the case and
> that they'd simply trained their minds to think/imagine a certain way in
> developing the visual ideas.

What's intriguing is that there do seem to be certain hallucinatory
images which are consistent across cultures and are even independent of
the means used to induce the state (priests used to whip themselves and
then wear hairshirts in order to make the wounds go septic; Jesus
starved himself; others avoided sleep - it just makes you so proud
science has made it as easy as taking a pill :-)

Leary was probably onto something when he said that it indicated
something about basic neuronal wiring, but boy did he ever run with that
ball.

> Mel

FoFP