HW: Alchoholic Beverages? Halt that hangover NOW!

Melvyn Vincent mel at MVA.U-NET.COM
Thu Nov 2 18:56:29 EST 2000

I loved that bit of info from Doug Pearson about the 'Turkey Effect'. Xmas
dinner will never seem quite the same again!

Now.....how many of you out there remember as a teenager, being able to go
out and consume a sufficient excess of alchohol......sleep it off.....and
wake up feeling fine (albeit a bit dehydrated) and well enough to go to
school or college?

The as time rolls on into your 20's (when I got my first REAL
hangover)....then into the 30's and you go out and drink moderately without
getting plastered and you wake up the following morning feeling  worse than
shite itself.  And the problem gets worse with age.

Well .....there is a preventative answer.......which does not involve
drinking pints of milk to line the stomach or consuming vast quantities of
water at the end of your night out.

Some years ago the owner of an off licence suggested doing exactly what all
the doctors and nurses do before they go on their ritualistic binge after a
hard weeks shift......
Very simple........you swallow 2 Ibuprofen tablets (ie Neurofen in the UK)
(*NOT PARACETAMOL OR ASPIRIN!!!!*)
It has to be Ibuprofen painkiller/anti inflammatory....taken as
directed,preferably with food....BEFORE YOU START DRINKING!

I've tried it on numerous occasions and it really does work...........BUT
HOW????

I met up with a consultant from Guys Hospital in London some time ago, and
asked him about this just to find out if he could authenticate this
preventative remedy.
He was well familiar with this pre-hangover treatment and went on to
explain exactly how it works.
It is nothing to do with 'killing the pain in advance'.
What happens is.....(as I recall).......By taking Ibuprofen before
consuming alcholic drink,
the alchohol reacts with the Ibuprofen in the stomach, and produces an
enzyme which in turn,neutralises the antibodies within the alchoholic
drink, that would otherwise go on to give you a 'hangover'.
It's actually helping to do exactly what our livers did for us as teenagers
when we went out drinking.
Unfortunately.......as we get older, our livers become less efficient at
dealing with this type of abuse,which is why 43 yr old 'lightweights' such
as myself feel shitty the morning after just 2 and a half pints of Guiness.

Like I said before....IT MUST BE IBUPROFEN
                AT THE PRESCRIBED DOSAGE
                TAKEN WITH FOOD !

NOT Paracetamol - NOT Panadol - NOT Aspirin !!!!! ( or any other painkiller
bought over the counter! )

Oh......for the record!
On the 21st October...........  8pm - 2 x Neurofen
                        8 - 9.30pm - 2 Pints of Theakstons Best + 1 Double
Vodka + Red
                                     Bull (Yuk!) @ The Beehive,Brixton.
                        10.30 - 02.00am - Double Vodka & Tonic + 2 Pints of
Stella during
                                              Hawkestra.
                        02.30 - 3.30pm  - Went home pleasantly
pissed.....Slept........Got up