Off/On: No Drugs & Hawkwind

Darrin McKeehen dmckeehen at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 2 19:13:45 EST 2000

Hey Now,

Just wanted to blast you guys.

Not all of what I said was true. I am no Sid Vicious! However, I do partake
in the other substances. Some more than others. Basically, on the weekend,
at shows etc. It's a celebration, not a habit!

I DO NOT drink alcohol. I quit 10 years ago and I don't miss it at all. I do
not smoke during the week, for the most part. If there's a show here on
Tuesday etc. I celebrate! Moderation is the key. I got pneumonia in '88 from
too much kind, so I take it easy and no schwag!

I am a Geologist (Hydrogeologist). I have been in the environmental business
for 13 years. When I worked in the lab, I did go home at lunch and party. It
did not effect my work, but by Thursday, I needed a nap ")

Of course, that's when I lived in Cleveland, where I saw my first Hawkwind
show. I think it was 9/30/89. Very spacey show! Especially on Florida's free
high ")
Actually, they were probably from Oregon.

I first heard Hawkwind at the Bowling Green State University library. I was
a metal head and already had all the Motorhead albums. I was tracing Lemmy's
roots, so I listened to a scratched copy of DOREMI on the headphones in the
library and I was hooked! I guess this was about 1979.

The first album I bought was In Search of Space and the rest is history.

Just for the record, I would never put any drug in my veins and I am VERY
anti-cocaine. One week before college graduation, I walked in on a drug bust
at a friends. I watched them get taken away in handcuffs and end up in
Mansfield, Ohio, a federal(?) prison as seen in the movie "Brubaker". I have
seen that drug ruin too many people's lives and I stay away!

Peace,

Darrin