HW: Alchoholic Beverages? Halt that hangover NOW!

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Nov 2 19:34:36 EST 2000

>What happens is.....(as I recall).......By taking Ibuprofen before
>consuming alcholic drink,
>the alchohol reacts with the Ibuprofen in the stomach, and produces an
>enzyme which in turn,neutralises the antibodies within the alchoholic
>drink, that would otherwise go on to give you a 'hangover'.

!!

Forgive me but... no way can you "produce an enzyme" in this way! And
alcohol doesn't contain antibodies, antibodies are 'good guys' produced by
your own immune system to fight infection, help heal wounds etc.

It (the ibuprofen) may give the liver a "kick-start", i.e. make the liver's
natural enzymes work more effectively, thus you will get the alcohol out of
your system quicker.

Hope you won't mind me commenting but you seem to be genuinely
interested in the mechanisms so thought you'd like clarification.

>It's actually helping to do exactly what our livers did for us as teenagers
>when we went out drinking.

Yes- see above.

>Unfortunately.......as we get older, our livers become less efficient at
>dealing with this type of abuse,which is why 43 yr old 'lightweights' such
>as myself feel shitty the morning after just 2 and a half pints of Guiness.

>Like I said before....IT MUST BE IBUPROFEN
>                AT THE PRESCRIBED DOSAGE
>                TAKEN WITH FOOD !
>
>NOT Paracetamol - NOT Panadol - NOT Aspirin !!!!! ( or any other painkiller
>bought over the counter! )

Ibuprofen is freely available over the counter in the UK. I thought it was in
the US too, maybe not. (Perhaps it varies between states?)

Can we get back to Hawkwind pleeze?! I'm already on enough medical
mailing lists!

--
Nick Medford