OFF: how we got into hawkwind

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Nov 2 21:00:20 EST 2000

I'm sure I've posted this before, but what the heck ...

Autumn 1984, I'd just started college.  Tuned into the college station
(WJHU in Baltimore, now sadly a 100% classical/NPR station with no
rock/experimental/adventurous music played) late one night when I got back
to my dorm room more than a bit stoned (something I'd also experienced for
the first time only a few weeks prior).  I'd heard OF Hawkwind from reading
"rock encyclopedia" type books and knew that they were sort of an "English
Grateful Dead" (in terms of being a long-running hippy/psych band known for
its live performances) and "friends of Michael Moorcock" (I'd read the
Elric series, at least).  Minutes after I'd turned on the radio, the DJ
announced "Psychedelic Warlords by Hawkwind", and I think I was hooked from
the moment Del's synthesizer drone faded in, followed by Brock's riffage
and then the whole band kicking into gear.  I was blown away.  The next
day, I took the bus downtown to a used record store, and picked up copies
of 'Space Ritual', 'Roadhawks' and 'Live 79'.  Within a couple years, I'd
amassed a collection of 40+ LP's.  I started writing to Brian Tawn to get
Hawkwind Feedback news (it was kind of depressing that the first "new" news
I received about the band involved Nik getting fired), and the rest is
history ...

And at 33, I still enjoy the occasional (or more frequently than
occasional) puff on the peace pipe, and while it may be my *preferred*
state of mind for listening to Hawkwind, I would never claim that it's
required!  I saw my first Hawkwind show in '89 under the influence of
nothing stronger than Anchor Steam beer (NO THANKS to the security at One
Step Beyond in Santa Clara!), and it was still great!  I certainly wouldn't
want to interfere with anyone else listening to Hawkwind in their preferred
way (whatever way that might be), as long as they don't mess with mine ...

Attending college in the mid 80's, I certainly saw my share of people screw
themselves up royally with cocaine - some recovered, some didn't.  But at
least nobody died, which is more than I can say for some of the heroin
users I've known.

Anyone else gotten your boc-l tape swap cassettes yet?  I've enjoyed the
one I received (but will listen to it once or twice more before posting) ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com