how we got into hawkwind

Sonique sonique at SONIQUE.NET
Thu Nov 2 21:25:54 EST 2000

For me, it was in late '79. I was 13 and lived in country Victoria (Australia), and at that time my
friends and I used to tune in to a former pirate AM radio station from Sydney '2JJ' (which has since
transformed into the national "youth" FM network JJJ) after dark (as it was the only time we could
receive it) thanks to the limited choices provided by the two local country broadcasters.

During this period we discovered to our delight that there was such a thing as "good" music, as the
2JJ announcers were not constricted by play lists at all. Then one night "Robot" made it's way
through the background noise (Sydney being 500-600 miles away), and my mind was blown away.
By the time I was in year 10/form 4 I had bought half a dozen HW albums from what little pocket
money I could scrape up and there was no turning back. My record collection at this time consisted
of one piece of rubbish (Hitwave 77), Steve Hillage's "Green", Meco's "Close Encounters of Every
Kind" and HW albums (HOTMG, SR, Astounding, 1st album and a few others). My tastes continued to
diversify but HW is still now the largest part of my not modest collection.

First live HW experience? 21 years later: Studio 22 in Sydney this year, followed by the Sydney
Metro gig ...

S.