HW: Alchoholic Beverages? Halt that hangover NOW!

Chris Warburton cwarburton at RDF-CONSULTING.CO.UK
Fri Nov 3 04:29:37 EST 2000

The hangover inducing elements are "congeners".

Apart from the dehydrating effects of the alcohol, vodka is least
troublesome, because it is almost purely alcohol & water.

At the opposite extreme are drinks like brandy, or port (probably most
liqueurs too) which have a large number of complex flavouring elements.

Beers vary across the spectrum, but don't think that because a beer is
"light" doesn't make it better... anecdotal evidence suggests that Stella is
one of the worst culprits for inducing headaches... my own experience in
Belgium was that even very large quantities of Hoegaarden caused me
relatively little ill-effect (surprising, given the complexity of that
beer).

I've also noticed that as I've grown older, I'm less likely to be ill on the
night, but after a real bender I find myself shouting down the big white
telephone at about 11:00 a.m. the following day, curious huh?

Soberly yours
ChrisW