HW: Alchoholic Beverages? Halt that hangover NOW!

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Nov 3 07:38:16 EST 2000

Melvyn Vincent writes:

> Unfortunately.......as we get older, our livers become less efficient at
> dealing with this type of abuse,which is why 43 yr old 'lightweights' such
> as myself feel shitty the morning after just 2 and a half pints of Guiness.

I figure it's just lack of the sort of practice we used to put in in our
teens. Sometimes I can drink 10 pints of real ale and have no ill-efects
next morning (and I'm over 40). Sometimes I haven't been drinking very
much very consistently and a mere 5 pints will give me a bad hangover.

Effects I've noticed are that chemical beers are more likely to cause
hangovers than real ale; drinking water before and after drinking beer
absolutely does prevent hangovers so long as the total amounts to half
the volume of beer that you've drunk; eating a packet of sweets first
thing is best, followed by a fatty carbohydrate food - this combination
helps prevent nausea. I'm also on permanent antacids (zoton) so I can't
speak for what normal mortals should do to prevent heartburn, though I'd
hazard that a tagamet 90 minutes before sleep would be a sound plan
unless contraindicated for interaction with other medicines.

FoFP