New Monster Magnet Album

Johnny Firic johnnybravo5858 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 4 14:21:52 EST 2000

> > How does it compare sound wise to other MM albums?    Can you
> > compare it to other discs?
>
>Soundwise it´s better than Superjudge but not as good as Powertrip. Some
>very
>good swooshy synth effects in full stereo can be heard though.
>Hope that helps.
>
>Andreas

Ugh - I couldn't _disagree_ more. "Dopes to infinity" vs. "Powertrip" is
just like "Secret Treaties" vs. "Agents of fortune". "Dopes" is one of THE
albums for me, it just has everything. It starts off very heavy (the 1st
song is prolly the heaviest on the album, and also the 2nd track, the
Warhead). It gets trippier later, with longer guitar/synth jams, around the
middle of the album. Then, at the end, my favorite part, "Dead Christmas",
"King of Mars", "Theme from Masterburner", "Vertigo" - four quiet, slow, but
still heavy songs ("Theme" is an instrumental). And that wierd coda in the
end. Not to mention the lyrics - their best lyrics are on this album
(especially I think "Blow 'em off" has great lyrics).

"Powertrip" is a classic sellout album. Only the first song ("Crop circle")
and the last one ("Your lies become you") could fit on any of their previous
albums. The rest is IMO not as good, more pop-wise written songs. It's all
"heavy metal", but more like a cross Metallica and Misfits, the songs are
straightforward verse-chorus type of songs, with almost no jams at all. A
better balance of the Misfits-like songs and their "classic" jammy songs
would have been much better IMO. It's not a bad album overall, but certainly
not as good as "Dopes".

Otther albums: Superjudge - similar to "Dopes", but not as good, with slower
songs and lots and lots of overlaying guitars. The only standout song is
"Cage around the sun", I would say. If you liked "Dopes" you'll prolly like
"Superjudge" as well.

"Spine of God" - nothing but jams here. It's been more than a year since I
listened to this one. Nowhere near as heavy as the later albums, but the
jams don't really do the job either. Sorry, this one just isn't very good.

I think there's another album i don't have.

I think "Silver future" is a new song (seen it on Napster). If it is a song
from the new album, it's a good sign - it's a great song, in the vein of
"Dopes" (the song), a bit less jammy but still great.

MM has also covered lots of older stuff, including Hawkwind (I think "Silver
machine", "Urban guerilla" and another song I didn't know) and "Kick out the
jams" - they regularly do KOTJ on their shows, and it's one of the
highlights. If you're interested, this stuff is available on Napster (it's
not on any official CD that I know of).

Johnny