New Monster Magnet Album

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sun Nov 5 00:50:37 EST 2000

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Johnny Firic wrote:

=> "Powertrip" is a classic sellout album. Only the first song ("Crop circle")
=> and the last one ("Your lies become you") could fit on any of their previous
=> albums. The rest is IMO not as good, more pop-wise written songs. It's all
=> "heavy metal", but more like a cross Metallica and Misfits, the songs are
=> straightforward verse-chorus type of songs, with almost no jams at all. A
=> better balance of the Misfits-like songs and their "classic" jammy songs
=> would have been much better IMO. It's not a bad album overall, but certainly
=> not as good as "Dopes".

You're obviously from the BOC side of this list.  How else could you
fail to notice the dead ringer for "Time We Left" on _Powertrip_:
"Bummer."

=> Otther albums: Superjudge - similar to "Dopes", but not as good, with slower
=> songs and lots and lots of overlaying guitars. The only standout song is
=> "Cage around the sun", I would say. If you liked "Dopes" you'll prolly like
=> "Superjudge" as well.

Also, "Dinosaur Vacume" is "more Hawkwind than Hawkwind..."  (Not to
mention a bone fide cover of Hawkwind's "Brainstorm.")

=> "Spine of God" - nothing but jams here. It's been more than a year since I
=> listened to this one. Nowhere near as heavy as the later albums, but the
=> jams don't really do the job either. Sorry, this one just isn't very good.

_Spine of God_ is *THE* Monster Magnet album.  All others pale in
comparison!

=> I think there's another album i don't have.

There's an EP: _25.....Tab_.  Great psychedelic jamming, but not to
everyone's tastes.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu