HW: Weird CDs

David Bottomley merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK
Sun Nov 5 06:11:03 EST 2000

Jez asked:

>Has anybody got the new Weird CDs who can give detailed info about how they
>differ from the Tapes please. Which (if any) have extra tracks? Any
>extended versions of songs?

OK, as far as I can tell, the differences are as follows. I haven't directly
compared the two sources so this is all from memory & there may well be
other things I've missed.

1: Angels of Life lasts beyond the original fade-out by a few minutes. This
features more of Bob's WW1 obsession & is well worth hearing. Also, what was
The Dream 2 is now part
of Satellite & we have an all-new synth piece listed as The Dream 2. Nuclear
Toy seems longer, but not sure about this.

2: Seems identical to the tape.

3: Also identical, despite the misleading track listing on the cover.

4: Again, identical to tape & definitely NOT the same as the Griffin CD.

5: Is the same as the version of Weird105 that I have (the reissue?) with
the
addition of the US QS&C radio ad between Steppenwolf & Where Are They Now.
I've never heard the other version of the tape so can't help there. Also,
the second track
is listed as City of Lagoons (as was the tape), but this is Chronoglide
Skyway, surely?

6: Includes the full Greasy Truckers' Born To Go rather than the 5 min
edit of it. Omits Earth Calling from the track list on the cover, but it's
on the CD.

7: Hmm. Not sure what happened here. Is everyone else's version as screwed
up as mine? Track listing on the cover is as per tape, but the CD itself
starts with Choose Your Masques, continues with Looking in the Future twice
in succession (!!??) then onto the remaining tracks in order up to Bombed
Out,
then back to the original opener (Streets of Fear) then through to Winter of
Discontent at the end. What happened here?

8: Where *is* 8???

>Does the quality vary from the tapes?

The sound quality varies (as did that of the tapes) & is presumably a
function of the quality of the source material. No hiss, though!

Terrific covers if you've not seen them.

Hope this helps.

Dave