HW: Support bands #1 - a general approach

david hall dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun Nov 5 09:37:05 EST 2000

Hawkwind fans have also had the reputation of being hard on the support acts (sometimes unfairly so -often not)
My memory is hazy but here are the supporting acts I've seen (or are worth remembering - for good or ill):
79 Doll By Doll    -   shite
80 Vardis  - average metal
81? Baron Rojo  - dear o dear
82? Mama's Boys - they were good (in the Thin Lizzy tradition, the guitarist whipped out a violin bow and played the guitar Jimmy Page style, which resulted in abuse from the audience; gobs were rapidly shut when he whipped out the violin and let it rip...probably the best reaction to a HW support band I've seen ...apart from Daevid Allen)
83     ?
84 Bronz -  crap (I met Nik during this tour, of the support he said "they're beginning to sound like us"- which is probably the most bizarre thing the Thunder Rider has said or done).
85    ?
86? Tubulah Dog (average free-festival fare; until blinding version of the UFO theme tune complete with back projection of the opening credits of the TV series- hurrah)
88/87? Krel (average prog (now preparing to duck the incoming post from Andy G))
89/90?
91? Daevid Allen and the Magick Brothers (bloody brilliant mate Strong and Steaming stuff from the Dingo Virgin aka Divided Alien - Gong and Hawkwind were supposed to do a combined US tour after this.....I met Trev Hughes again at the Glasgow gig and said "Daevid Allen has had too much dope" Trev said this, Trev!) Dave Brock picks up the gliss guitar from the Alien.
93? Twitch and Brainstrom DJ Set excellent. HW remixes. Anyone got a tape! The Aphex Twin was at this too - I seem to recall
94 Salt Tank - okay, a pity but we were all expecting the Orb

Dave