New Monster Magnet Album

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sun Nov 5 10:30:21 EST 2000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Johnny Firic wrote:

=> >You're obviously from the BOC side of this list.  How else could you
=> >fail to notice the dead ringer for "Time We Left" on _Powertrip_:
=> >"Bummer."
=>
=> well, I _am_ "from the BOC side", but I'm getting into Hawkwind... give me
=> some time. I do know "time we left", and I agree it does sound a lot like
=> "Bummer", the latter being IMO by far the worst song on "Powertrip", fit for
=> Kid Rock to cover.

It gets a great reaction live.  Who is Kid Rock, by the way?

=> >Also, "Dinosaur Vacume" is "more Hawkwind than Hawkwind..."  (Not to
=> >mention a bone fide cover of Hawkwind's "Brainstorm.")
=>
=> hmmm... I _should_ know Brainstorm, but I can't quite place it. I don't like
=> "Dinosaur vacume" - btw it's spelled "vacuum" on a UK version that I've got
=> - it spoiled "Live in Las Vegas" for me. I hope "brainstorm" isn't that
=> bad...

Funny, but I checked the spelling before posting, because I assumed it
was "vacuum," but remembered it was slightly funky.  On my UK version of
_Superjudge_, it is spelled "Vacume."  I bought mine when it was
released (thanks to Swann's evangelism on this list---see, he *is* to
blame for everything!), so maybe they had a change of heart with the
spelling in subsequent pressings.  (Maybe they spelled "Nik" correctly
in the credits, too?)

Their version of "Brainstorm" is amusing in that it sounds like they are
using lyrics from the original BOC-L "lyrics project" (i.e., about half
wrong)...

=> >_Spine of God_ is *THE* Monster Magnet album.  All others pale in
=> >comparison!
=>
=> Well, I can see how a Hawkwind would think so, but I don't think a lot of
=> Monster Magnet fans would agree. I think it was the influence of the other
=> guitarist (who quit when Ed Mundell came on) that made "Spine" stand out so
=> much. I gave it another shot after my previous post, and - well, sorry. I
=> just don't like it. I think "Dopes" is much, much better.

It probably depends on what vintage of fan you are.  Those that "found"
Monster Magnet with their huge popular hit, _Dopes to Infinity_, would
undoubtedly agree with you.  But, what struck me as funny about your
original posting is that I recall _Dopes..._ being pretty much
universally flamed on BOC-L for its "generic metal" feel when it came
out.  So, _Dopes..._ and beyond fans no doubt love that aspect of
Monster Magnet.  Those that came before (and psyche fans that likely
inhabit this list) have a penchant for the pre-_Dopes..._ material (or
so my experience on this list tells me).  I guess it's rather like pre-
and post-Barrett era Floyd fans.

I'm glad you like _Dopes..._.  I seldom play it, myself, but _Spine of
God_ gets regular play.  Horses for courses...

=> And thanks for the info on "Tab" (I thought that was the name). I'll stay
=> clear of that one...

Well, someone *gave* me their copy, so obviously it is not for the faint
of heart... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu