HW: Support bands #1 - a general approach

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Nov 6 11:53:38 EST 2000

In message <005401c0480e$77b88fa0$8078a8c2 at xpnwjjkf>, Nick Lee
<nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET> writes
>>read somewhere that yechno/trance group "eskimos and egypt" have supported
>>hawkwind.
>>
>>anyone confirm this ??
>>
>>colm
>>
>I've seen 'em sometime or another, I pretty sure.  A HW gig is a pretty
>likely candidate!

I've seen 'em too, but it wasn't with Hawkwind, it was at one of the Club
Dog nights at the Rocket on Holloway Road. Can't remember who else
played there that night, possibly System 7.

Thought E+E were pretty good live but when I later heard one of their
records it didn't capture the intensity of the live sound at all. Don't know if
they're still around as this would have been about '93.

I'm surprised that so many HW fans profess an aversion to all things techno
as the Hawks have undoubtedly influenced- and been influenced by- the
more psychedelic end of the scene. Granted a lot of poppier electronic
dance music is crap, but that's true of most pop music, n'est-ce pas? Mind
you the sound system at Brixton was pretty irritating, what with the noise
pollution spilling into the main hall every time anyone went in or out.
Didn't notice this at all during Hawkwind's set but after moving further back
for Tim Blake it became quite intrusive at times. Also- the people who
spent all their time out there- why?? You have the world's best band playing
a unique reunion show, and you choose to listen to a DJ all night? Wake up
and smell the quarks!!
--
Nick Medford