HW: Support bands #1 - a general approach

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Nov 6 15:11:46 EST 2000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 16:35:13 +0000, Nick Medford <nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK>
wrote:
>>    79 Doll By Doll    -   shite
>I actually saw a reformed version of this band supporting Pere Ubu at the
>QEH about 3 years ago (anyone else here like Ubu??)

Oh, yes!  Current Ubu lead guitarist Jim Jones played at Strange Daze this
year with his band Trans-Lunar Express.

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:18:50 +1100, "Lawrence, Martyn [IBM GSA]"
<Martyn.Lawrence at TEAM.TELSTRA.COM> wrote:
>1977-Bethnal - punk/rock with a violin- Played a version of the who's "Baba
>O'Reilly" - Very good

And 3/4ths of the band played on Calvert's 'Hype' album.  I heard the
second Bethnal album, 'Crash Landing' and thought it sucked, but the word
is that the first one is much better (and includes their cover of "Baba
O'Riley").  Anyone want to report?

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com

P.S. The worst band I ever saw supporting Hawkwind were a local bad
lite-metal band called PSI who played at the Omni in Oakland (hence the
thanks "for enduring the opening band" message on 'California Brainstorm').
 Their singer wore an athletic headband, just like Loverboy did, and they
told the audience to "just say no to drugs" with a straight face ... at a
HAWKWIND show!!?!?  (I wound up yelling "do drugs not sports!" back at
them...)