HW:Space Ritual 2

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Nov 6 15:26:42 EST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:13:12 +0100, "SHLL (Scott Heller)" <SHLL at NOVO.DK> wrote:
>        Can someone out there clear up something about Space Ritual Vol.2
>for me... Am I correct that this is from the same exact concerts as the
>Space Ritual release but that it has extended versions of Time we left and a
>couple of other tracks?

Bernhard pretty much explained it already, but the versions of "Brainstorm"
and "Time We Left" on 'Space Ritual vol.2' are the un-edited versions of
the original SR tracks.  "Brainstorm" runs about 3 minutes longer, and
"Time We Left" about 8 minutes longer (with KILLER bass solo).

>Did we ever find out why on the remastered Space
>Ritual the whole Time we left was not included?

Actually, that answers the question.  SR was re-MASTERED, not remixed or
recut from the original multitrack tapes.  The existing two-track MASTERS
were used, which had already had the parts edited out.  In order to restore
the full-length versions of those songs, they would have had to be remixed
from the original multitracks, which would have added considerable expense
and would have, most likely, extensively changed the character of the album
(compare, for instance, the mix of 'The 1999 Party' with the original
'Space Ritual' mix - VERY different).

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com