OFF: how we got into hawkwind

Maxine Wesley maxine.wesley at PORT.AC.UK
Tue Nov 7 05:28:58 EST 2000

In the late 1970's & early 80's I used to work at De Montfort Hall in
Leicester;  selling programmes for all the bands that came through -
I think it was the HawkLords Tour that I first saw them play.  I got
my float & wodge of programmes & went to set up in the foyer (with
Olive - lovely little orange haired old lady....).

We used to have to arrive early so could often spend 1/2 hour or so
staring at the paintwork & gargoyles before the doors opened. At the
Hawk gig I  was lucky coz some chap came up to me and helped
me pass the time in pleasant banter. Eventually the doors opened a
few people had filtered into the lobby & were queing to get a prog
the guy left...

Another 'bloke' came up to me:

bloke: "Do you know who that was?"
Me: "No idea"
bloke: "That was Dave Brock" !!!
Me:  "Who?"

Sorry - such was my ignorance as a 17 year old!!

My best mate, Stumpy, who I guess I can solely blame for me 'being
into' Hawkwind (see below - especially for those who want to
'get their wives into Hawkwind'!?) dissappeared during that gig
- he ended up backstage and said that he had given Dave Brock my
"Keep Leicester Clean" badge... which he had swiped from my
jacket earlier in the evening (he found everything amusing - that's
LSD for you??)

I'm not sure quite how I would have got into Hawkwind without
Stumpy's total enthusiasm for them....yes, the music speaks for
itself and I  appreciate it 'NOW'  but when I was younger I guess
you could say that sometimes I disliked it because I didn't 'get into
it'  and we all know "If you want to get into it - you gotta get
out of it.....".....Anyway
for those guys that are having trouble 'converting' their better
halves I shall let you in on :

Stumpy's Technique
1. Purchase cocktail of drugs on friday night
2. Give them to your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/lover
3. Play Hawkwind at maximum volume until sunrise on monday

repeat on a weekly basis - they'll crack eventually!!! I did and I'm
very, very, very glad I did!

Maxine