OFF: how we got into hawkwind

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Nov 7 13:28:06 EST 2000

Dave wondered...

>Ah well, but listening to HW whilst staring up into a totally clear night
>sky, watching the shooting stars the same day as witnessing a total solar
>eclipse was pretty damn cool. And of course, it was actually HW playing the
>music live!  Ha ha, who's got the best "listening to HW" tale then?

My most amazing time listening to Hawkwind was in 1997 when I was camped on
the Dasuopu glacier at 23,000 feet in the Himalayas right on the Tibet/Nepal
border. I was alone in my tent one night, listening to a compilation HW tape
I had brought along on the walkman (don't ask how I warmed up the batteries
- it was probably -20 or -30) in a pretty powerful blizzard and the
whistling sounds of the wind and blowing snow were so loud that they became
part of the music, filtering in through the little headphones I was using.
The original Assault & Battery/Golden Void was how the tape started.  The
feeling of 'smallness' in the universe was quite intense, though you only
have to stand on, say, the middle of the Greenland Ice Sheet on a windy,
overcast day to completely lose your mind into nothingness.  And then you
get dizzy and nearly fall over since you don't know which way is up.  Very
disorienting.

Grakkl (FAA)