HW: Support bands #1 - a general approach

John H. McCartney scorch at TE-CATS.COM
Tue Nov 7 19:15:57 EST 2000

> P.S. The worst band I ever saw supporting Hawkwind were a local bad
> lite-metal band called PSI who played at the Omni in Oakland (hence the
> thanks "for enduring the opening band" message on 'California Brainstorm').
>  Their singer wore an athletic headband, just like Loverboy did, and they
> told the audience to "just say no to drugs" with a straight face ... at a
> HAWKWIND show!!?!?  (I wound up yelling "do drugs not sports!" back at
> them...)

Uh, which one were they? As I recall, there were 3(?) openers that night,
and each and every one of them sucked like a black hole. I stayed in the
bar until the last one finished (chatting with Harvey, Alan, & Richard),
then claimed my spot right up front and dead center. Ahh Bridget.....

The support at the Stone on the previous tour also blew dead goats. I
remember they were trying really hard to be Cream, and they were so bad
that when they were at the bar during Hawkwind's setup, everyone left
a clear space around them.....

scorch