HW:Support Doll by Doll

Sara Zaza prabbit at GOWEBWAY.COM
Wed Nov 8 17:14:37 EST 2000

Someone mentioned seeing Jackie Leven or Doll By Doll open for Man or Deke
Leonard.  This make sense as Phil Ryan played organ and moog on the lp by
Leven under the name John St. Field, "Control", a very different and
psychedelic lp released only in Spain by Movieplay in 1975 I think, but was
recorded in 1971 at Mayfair Studios.  I could never get excited about Doll
By Doll, thought they were pretty ordinary despite critical fawning at the
time but the John St. Field lp is a great late night red-eye nodout fave,
fluid West Coast style leads, some subtle moog, backwards effects, phasing,
etc...Leven has stated in interviews that acid was a big, um influence at
the time of the lp and it shows.
Sorry about not being able to make it at the Beehive, it was too crowded by
the tyme Sara and I arrived, we were told it was full up, but we had a blast
at the show.

John Stanton