HW: Support bands #1 - a general approach

Kevin Sommers novadrive at HOME.COM
Thu Nov 9 04:29:15 EST 2000

Urf, I thinks you\re confusing '89 and '90...

"King of Kings' played at the Stone in '89, and I liked them (early Black
Sabbath-meets-the Amboy Dukes) ("Uh, OK, here's the next song, we're not
sure what it's called...") ..,but even better on their CD.  The band yer
thinking of at the One Step Beyond in '89 was Galactic Zoo (I've still got a
phosphorescent star they threw and I caught).  The I-Beam was '90 (see
'California Brainstorm'  No REALLY do it, it's fantastic!!!), but I vividly
remember a band I saw in '90 in Los Angeles at Club Lingere, who's name I
mercifully don't remember, who were VERY upset that Hawkwind's equipment
took up all the (very small) stage, and they were set up on the dance floor.
They said something extremely stupid at one point, to the effect of "This is
like we're stuck downstairs, so let's go upstairs and wreck all the
stuff..."  Lot's of HawkFans were NOT amused...

KevinSommers

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU]On
Behalf Of Doug Pearson
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2000 5:47 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
Subject: Re: HW: Support bands #1 - a general approach

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:15:57 -0800, "John H. McCartney" <scorch at TE-CATS.COM>
wrote:
>> P.S. The worst band I ever saw supporting Hawkwind were a local bad
>> lite-metal band called PSI who played at the Omni in Oakland ...
>
>Uh, which one were they? As I recall, there were 3(?) openers that night,
>and each and every one of them sucked like a black hole.

They were the third of three.  Fortunately I missed the first two openers
'cause I'd just gotten back from a weekend ski trip.

>I stayed in the
>bar until the last one finished (chatting with Harvey, Alan, & Richard),
>then claimed my spot right up front and dead center. Ahh Bridget.....

... yeah, I'm a fan, too!  In that case, we couldn't have been standing
more than 5 or 10 feet apart.  I was probably a bit to your right ...

>The support at the Stone on the previous tour also blew dead goats. I
>remember they were trying really hard to be Cream, and they were so bad
>that when they were at the bar during Hawkwind's setup, everyone left
>a clear space around them.....

Was that King of Kings?  I remember them being fairly unremarkable, but
pretty inoffensive ("trying really hard to be Cream" sounds about right).
Not nearly as bad as PSI, and I think Kevin Sommers (thanks again for the
CD-R's!!) mentioned liking 'em.  The other two Bay Area shows from those
two tours had better support.  I forget the name of (sometime boc-l
member/lurker) Jeff "Stretch" Ridel's band (and I think I forgot how to
spell his name - sorry, Jeff!), but they had a female singer and did a
decent version of "Steppenwolf" at One Step Beyond in the South Bay.  And
the night after the Omni show, the San Francisco show at the I-Beam had the
Bedbugs, who I thoroughly enjoyed (wierd semi-acoustic hippie noise improv,
emphasis on the "wierd" and "noise").

As for the 1995 support band in San Francisco (at Slim's), I'll keep my
mouth shut ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com