HW: Taped music and DJ's at gigs (dub!!)

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Nov 13 09:28:57 EST 2000

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:26:04 -0000, david hall
<dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:

>Quite often the music played through the PA before and after the support
was more interesting than the band. In the early eighties ICU got quite an
airing. From 86 on it was dub: African Headcharge and the Dub Syndicate I
think. Perhaps Dave B can confirm.

>Dave

Never certain how much control the band themselves have over this. At the
Hawkestra night the DJ played the same 30 secs of Massive Attack over and
over (on a loop?) while Bedouin were setting up. Much as I enjoyed hearing
MA's "Mezzanine" album at a Hawk gig, I was getting decidedly restless by
that point.

At Croydon last year the PA played Swans most of the evening- pretty good.
I remember a previous gig though where a very lengthy and enormously
tedious Van Halen track was inflicted on the Hawk audience- not good.

African Head Charge were a GREAT band! Be nice to think Dave B was
responsible for that. But I suspect it's down to the venue.