napster, hawkwind and mp3's

Tom Clark tclark at PETRONET.NET
Mon Nov 13 23:51:56 EST 2000

Napster is a really sticky situation.   There is alot of obscure music out there
that Napster has enabled those of us who may not otherwise obtain such music,
due to perhaps availability in local record shops or via internet or perhaps not
due to the fact that some recordings are not available in the latest format.

Therefore, Napster has been a  great avenue for discovering perhaps otherwise
unavailable music for those of us who have perhaps been deprived of availability
or the means to play it, and subsequently seek out and purchase other recordings
which allow for the reimbursement of royalties.  The idea of it being free, I
think, in that sense, is insignicant in that it allows for the introduction and
discovery of obscure material for those of us who may not have other means of
obtaining it, and subsequently decide to purchase recordings that are easily
available via normal channels.   That is what was cool about the idea of
Napster.

I think the evolution of Napster whereby they intend to charge fees for usage is
a great idea if, in fact, it can be enforced that the artists who's music is
downloaded will be paid royalties.  I would definitely not be opposed to it, if
this was the case, and would happily pay a monthly fee for the service.

At this time, however, for example, where in the hell can I buy the Hawkwind
album Alien 4?  I found some songs via Napster, but have not been able to find a
place to purchase the album (CD)?  I would purchase it if I could find it, but
in the meantime, due to my psychotic pursuit of All Things Hawkwind, I managed
to download a couple of songs, darnit, and am quite happy do discover yet other
New To Me Hawkwind Material, and was quite happy to hear it.  (If royalties are
required as a result of this, then how much, and who do I pay?...that is the
sticky part.)

On another hand, an extreme example is David Allen Coe, who  has a couple of
hilarious country albums  out (XXX rated) that are not available in stores,
never were, and the albums are probably out of print.  Some real gems there, but
if he expects  on receiving royalties, how does he intend on collecting?  Then
again, he made the music to be heard, and if Napster can come up with a way to
pay him royalties, then great, but in the meantime, what can we do, except for
appreciate his music and pass it on to others who may decide to buy legitimate
recordings.

On the other hand,