napster, hawkwind and mp3's

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Nov 14 17:51:10 EST 2000

On 14 Nov 00, at 19:15, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

> No,
> I'm not saying Napster doesn't have their uses, and no-one's perfect,
> but it strikes me that they simply don't care whether something they
> offer is available or not - why should they worry - it's only the poor
> artist who suffers after all. I say, do your homework, Napster!!! The
> idea that Napster leads to more exposure for that artist may well be
> true but lead to more sales? For unknown acts with nothing to lose,
> perhaps, but my argument is simply for establsihed acts who fall
> 'victim' to this system (and we're not talking Metallica here) Andy

Yet Coutney Love, who has sold lots of records in the past, says she
likes Napster, and sees it as a tool for marketing her entire career.
She says that she makes no money being tied to a major label, so
what difference does it make if people download it?  Essentially, she
says she's doing nothing but make money for the label!  She
correctly realizes that her income results from touring--as it does for
all bands.  There isn't a band in the world [exc. Metallica, I guess!]
that makes money from CD sales.  I realize that a tiny handful of
bands have better record deals, but it's a small number.  The deck is
stacked against artists trying to make a buck from CDs.  Hit the road
and make your money there.  Case in point:  BOC!  One real album
in the last, what, 15 years, and they're still going strong, because
they're 'on tour forever,' and understand how the road works...

theo