OFF: Napster and band exposure

Mark Jermy m.jermy at CRANFIELD.AC.UK
Wed Nov 15 06:03:26 EST 2000

Just to stir, isn't the job of giving bands free exposure done well and
legitimately by services like mp3.com? Those bands who are little known and
have CDs in print they want to sell can agree to offer free downloads and
then have control over the quality and selection- and offer their CDs
through mp3.com's sales system. I've found a lot of stuff I liked but
otherwise wouldn't have heard about by searching for 'similar artists' to
HW, Tangerine Dream etc.

Maybe Napster was needed to pioneer organised mp3 swapping, and to show the
record industry at large that it could work and be popular.

Mark