VH1

Andrew Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Wed Nov 15 11:43:23 EST 2000

At 07:15 AM 11/15/00 EDT, Ted Jackson jr. wrote:
>Remember, folks--
>
>BOC will be on VH1 tonight, as part of the 100 Best Heavy Bands
>special.  I think they're somewhere in the middle of the pack.
>
>The show will be replayed on the 16th at 9pm, and the 17th at 8 pm.

BOC comes in at #55, just edging out Heart (57) and White Zombie (56),
but just behind Sonic Youth (54).

Stuff that makes Theo's blood boil:

        They have Rush at #28.

No matter how you do these kind of things, there will be debate, disagreement,
which of course is what they're after.  Given a 2 hour show and 100 bands, and
that they will naturally devote more time to the top of the order, we'd be
lucky
if they spend more than 30 seconds on BÖC.

IMO it is weighted to both stuff that is played on "classic rock" and current
"alternative" kind of things.  Of course I disagree with just about every
ranking
they have, but glad to see Motorhead, Ramones, and Cheap Trick get decent
notice
on here.

My biggest complaints are with bands who shouldn't be even on the catagory.
 I mean,
Boston????   and while I like them, Jethro Tull, the band that once beat
Metallica
for the grammy for best metal band, I don't think should be on here either.
 Indeed,
I'd rather Crimson and Floyd  Tull et al  be relegated to a "top 100 prog
bands"
special, which I would tape but would probably not draw a .1% viewer rating...

Their overall list, in order:

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Jimi Hendrix
AC/DC
Metallica
Nirvana
Van Halen
The Who
Guns N' Roses
KISS
Aerosmith
The Sex Pistols
Queen
Soundgarden
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Ramones
Ozzy Osbourne
The Clash
Alice Cooper
Pearl Jam
Deep Purple
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Cheap Trick
Motorhead
Iggy Pop/ The Stooges
Rush
Motley Crue
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Def Leppard
The Doors
Rage Against The Machine
Alice in Chains
Jane's Addiction
Frank Zappa
Yardbirds
MC5
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Stone Temple Pilots
Ted Nugent
The Kinks
Nine Inch Nails
ZZ Top
Pantera
Scorpions
The Rollins Band/ Black Flag
Janis Joplin
Smashing Pumpkins
Slayer
Thin Lizzy
Faith No More
Korn
Sonic Youth
Blue Oyster Cult
White Zombie/ Rob Zombie
Heart
Anthrax
Bad Company
The New York Dolls
Jethro Tull
Ministry
Boston
Steppenwolf
The Cult
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Rolling Stones
Husker Du
Megadeth
Living Colour
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Foo Fighters
Twisted Sister
Pat Benatar
Spinal Tap
Bon Jovi
Hole
Marilyn Manson
Ratt
Green Day
Pixies
Queensryche
King's X
UFO
Whitesnake
Foreigner
King Crimson
Tool
Lita Ford
Rainbow
The Misfits
The Black Crowes
Lenny Kravitz
Yes
Fugazi
Meat Loaf
Primus
Mountain
Bad Brains
Quiet Riot
"To dwell within Samsara, however, is to
 be subject to the works of those mighty
 among dreamers."

 - Mahasamatman, in Zelazny's "Lord of Light"

Andrew Apold