HW: Weird CDs

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Nov 15 19:03:00 EST 2000

Hooray!  They arrived today (well, they arrived yesterday, but I had to go
to the post office this morning to pick 'em up)!  Thanks, Andy!!

I can post tracklists shortly, if someone still needs 'em (but I'm at work
now and it'll have to wait until I get home), but the only actual tape I'm
familiar with is Hawklords '78 104.

I haven't even had a chance to listen yet (I'm tempted to blow off the jam
session I have scheduled for tonight, but I promised ... :^( ... ), but I
got 'Atomhenge 76' and Weird 101-105, and I *can* comment on the packaging.
 First of all, the 'Atomhenge' packaging is real nice, with a big color
booklet, just like the 'Live 79' and 'Masques' Collectors' series ... some
overlap in photos with the 'Thrilling Adventures' CD, but some different (a
compleatist - at least of the Calvert era - like me, needs both).  And the
sci-fi illustrations on the Weird CD's are real nice; I like 'em a lot.
BUT ... <rant mode on> whoever picked the photos for inside the CD inserts
is A MAJOR MORON!  For instance:
101 Sonic Assassins / Dave Brock solo - 'Atomhenge 76' photo w/Rudolph etc.
102 Hawkwind 77 / Hawklords studio - Yes!  The actual '77 lineup in the photo!
103 Hawkwind 77/75 - unidentifiable photo - can anyone else tell?
104 Hawklords 78 - 'Live 79' photo w/Tim & Huw
105 Hawkwind 76/77 - photo of the '82 lineup w/Huw & Nik

... one (or maybe two, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the photo in
Weird 103 is even more recent than 104 & 105) correct photo out of five
isn't a very good track record.  I mean, I expect that kind of sloppiness
on the umpteenth reissue of the same old crap from Dave Anderson or
Frenchy, but come one!  This is an official product!  It's not as though
photos from the Hawklords tour don't exist or anything like that (I'm sure
Knut Gerwers wouldn't mind if you snatched one off his Calvert website for
such a worthy cause).  And what the *&%$&^ is Huw doing there?  He didn't
play on ANY of the stuff!  Maybe I'm the only person who cares about this,
but I'd rather have blank inserts than the wrong ones.</rant mode off>

Of course, I'm incredibly happy that these have finally been released on
CD, and the photo issue won't interfere one bit with my enjoyment of the
music, which is the important part.  I'll write about that next time ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com