OFF: Re: VH1

Alex S. Garcia mvdbase at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 16 03:42:22 EST 2000

>BOC comes in at #55, just edging out Heart (57) and White Zombie (56),
>but just behind Sonic Youth (54).
>       (...)
>No matter how you do these kind of things, there will be debate, disagreement,
>which of course is what they're after.  Given a 2 hour show and 100 bands, and
>that they will naturally devote more time to the top of the order, we'd be
>lucky if they spend more than 30 seconds on BÖC.

Yeah, it was much too short for my taste. Still, it was nice to see them on
TV, for a change :-) And there's something fascinating, even somewhat
satisfying, about them being ranked higher than the Stones ! Then again,
KoRn scored higher... SAY WHAT ? Sheesh.

>IMO it is weighted to both stuff that is played on "classic rock" and current
>"alternative" kind of things.  Of course I disagree with just about every
>ranking
>they have, but glad to see Motorhead, Ramones, and Cheap Trick get decent
>notice
>on here.

Yeah, I think the flaw isn't so much in the bands they chose (although a few
make me cringe) as in how they ranked them. But, well, what you said. No one
will ever be able to agree anyway...

>My biggest complaints are with bands who shouldn't be even on the catagory.
> I mean,
>Boston????   and while I like them, Jethro Tull, the band that once beat
>Metallica
>for the grammy for best metal band, I don't think should be on here either.

Yeah, I was surprised to see them on. Made me wonder if Kansas was going to
be ranked, but I see from your list that they shine by their absence, bleh.

> Indeed,
>I'd rather Crimson and Floyd  Tull et al  be relegated to a "top 100 prog
>bands"
>special, which I would tape but would probably not draw a .1% viewer rating...

*grin* What made me laugh the most I think was the comments people were
making during the Tull segment. Steve Morse was cool, but then he does prog
too, so he knew what it was about, but others were like, yeah, it's a mix of
this and that, with some flute used for heavy metal, blah blah blah, they
were all stumbling around with words trying to find how to describe them...
hello ? Guess they've never heard the word 'progressive'. Either that or
they were specifically asked to stay clear from the p word ! Ha !

Ah well.

Alex.

PS: A local radio station has converted into an all-80's station. What a
cool idea. If anyone on the list is in the Albuquerque area, spread the word
:-) It's on 105.1 - the 80's & beyond...

PS2: And folks, don't forget to put the 'BOC' or 'HW' thingy in the subject
- it helps some of us sort through our e-mail !

Progressive rock : rip.xrs.net