napster, hawkwind and mp3's

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Nov 16 06:31:49 EST 2000

On 15 Nov 00, at 23:28, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

> Quite true - also we had the situation last year where a well known
> seventies band played a gig in London in front of upwards of 1000
> people and the only money the band and label made was the merchandise
> sales at the event, but that was considerable and made it worth while,
> seeing as the costs involved in the concert against fees, profits,
> etc, meant that the band and label just about broke even without those
> sales. Daft part is now, that, as I said, the well known bands who are
> now doing for themselves find at last that they really can make money
> out of CD sales. The major record industry's ideal is to put out one
> CD a year and get the world to buy it - that is always the goal
> towards which they are striving. Andy Garibaldi.

Yep!  Trouble is, most bands are broke, so the advance from a label
is tempting.  And, being broke, most bands won't have the money
stockpiled to book a studio, hire a producer, master the discs etc--all
expenses that [I think] are likely required to be paid up front...

But--now that recording has been 'shrunk' by the digital revolution,
home recording studios etc, maybe more bands will be encouraged
to 'do it yourself...'

theo