HW: www.hawkwind.org.uk

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Nov 17 12:23:02 EST 2000

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Kirsten Procter wrote:

=>  Can someone explain to me why it's necessary to have this webpage in a
=> format which I can't possibly access? All I can get to is a refresh
=> address, which leads me back to a new refresh address. And the idea that I
=> have to update my browser to read anything doesn't sit too well, so please
=> don't bother with that suggeston....

I agree.  It seems if you don't have a JavaScript-enabled browser,
you're pretty much shafted trying to access this site. :-(

Even then, the site can be a pain to access.  I run Netscape on my
NetBSD/alpha system at home under OSF compatibility mode, and all those
flying alien heads are great for about the first 10 seconds, and, after
that, you're wondering "very nice, but how do I stop them?"  I use a
DECstation 3100 as an X server for my NetBSD/alpha machine, and the 3100
is from the stone age, so "animation intensive" WWW pages swamp it with
X traffic and slow everything down to a crawl.  Yes, I could buy an
expensive modern PeeCee system, but then I wouldn't have any money left
to buy Hawkwind albums!  So, what do you want, Dave, Hawkwind album
sales or WWW page hits? ;-)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would be nice to have a "text
only" link in this snazzy site, for those who want "just the facts,
ma'am," and can do without the eye candy...

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Deep Purple, _Shades of Deep Purple_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa