BOC: Cover Band Pondering

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Fri Nov 17 15:52:17 EST 2000

> Is "Too Hip for the Room" a BOC cover band? I know they put out at
> least one
> CD of covers. Supposedly the covers varied greatly in style from the
> originals, but other people here know a lot more about it than I do.
> Maybe
> it's in the latest edition of the FAQ?

THFTR is not an official "BOC cover band", but they have done a "BOC
tribute" CD.  There is a fair amount of info on what they cover on their
CD in the latest version of the FAQ (http://members.aol.com/bocfaqman).
Stylistically, most of these songs don't sound like the BOC originals -
everything is acoustic, much of it is humorous, and a lot of it is
clever (imagine singing the lyrics to "Fire of Unknown Origin" over the
music of "O.D.'d on Life Itself" - weird, but it works).  It's not what
you would think of as a real "tribute album" - that is, lots of bands
giving their take on various BOC songs, but it is well done and
interesting.  Also, Buck, Eric, and Danny Miranda (among others)
participate on this project.

John